Re: Learning debian Linux

On (20/11/03 10:42), Knut Willy wrote:
> I am a novice at Linux. Never used it, but want to teach myself.
>
> 1. Have a Windows-98 PC, which has internet connection.
>    Do not intend to use Linux on this one.
>    Afraid of having two operating systems on same machine.
If you have a broadband connection and a enough disk space, installing a
dual boot system will be much easier than trying to install the whole
system via floppies.  FWIW, I am relatively new to Linux and Debian (my
first distro) and have installed dual booting systems on both Intel and
Mac PC's. It is a steep learning  curve but v satisfying.

> 2.  Have a portable Compaq PC, (Windows-95) on which I intend to install Linux.
>    This Compaq has no internet connection, no CD station.  Only a A: station for 1,44 mb diskettes.
I guess this is a fairly low spec machine; if you really want to use
this one, installing an ethernet connection (if possible) would be a
better way forward.

> 3. My intention is to do all downloading on the Win-98 PC, and then copy everything over to the Compaq, using diskettes.
>
> 4. I read somewhere that Debian Linux is the best choice for a novice learner. And also that one does not need to install EVERYTHING from Linux.
>   Just a small starter package will do. A minimum package.
I'm not sure where you read this but as avid Debian neophyte, I get the
distinct impression that other distros are probably easier to install
initially but can lead ultimately to frustration (many Debian users
started off with something else).

> 5. Is it possible to go ahead as I have mentioned above?
You might want to try a CD based distro like Knoppix (which is Debian
based) on your Desktop (it won't interfere with your W98 setup unless
you ask it to).  It will giveyou an opportunity to explore Linux
intially without installing it on your Hard Disk.  Similar CD's are
Gnoppix and Morphix.  Info available at:

http://www.knoppix.net/

http://www.gnoppix.net

http://morphix.sourceforge.net/modules/news/

If you don't have the ability to download and burn the CD's you can buy
them.  LinuxEmporium in the UK is one source.

Good Luck

Clive

--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk