Learning debian Linux

I am a novice at Linux. Never used it, but want to teach myself.

1. Have a Windows-98 PC, which has internet connection.
   Do not intend to use Linux on this one.
   Afraid of having two operating systems on same machine.

2.  Have a portable Compaq PC, (Windows-95) on which I intend to install Linux.
   This Compaq has no internet connection, no CD station.  Only a A: station for 1,44 mb diskettes.

3. My intention is to do all downloading on the Win-98 PC, and then copy everything over to the Compaq, using diskettes.

4. I read somewhere that Debian Linux is the best choice for a novice learner. And also that one does not need to install EVERYTHING from Linux.
  Just a small starter package will do. A minimum package.

5. Is it possible to go ahead as I have mentioned above?

Knut W. Jakset