Re: Logitech MX310 mouse: Dead extra button?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 05:53:09PM -0600, Nick Welch wrote:
> ... Could you possibly do me a favor and run
> 'xev', and then put your mouse cursor over it, and hit that button, and
> then report whether anything comes out?

Nothing comes out, when I press it nor when I move it.  I never
installed the special software in Windows.  I hate installing vendor's
goofy extensions.

> I bought this mouse specifically because it had lots of buttons, and
> didn't have a completely ridiculous price ($30).  At least a *somewhat*
> reasonable price.. $50 or $80 is just ridiculous to me for a mouse, I
> don't care how many buttons it has.  I'm not sure what I'll use them for
> exactly yet, but I know I'll find good uses for them.  For example, I
> currently use alt+mouse wheel to raise/lower windows, and I turn off all
> auto raising on click/hover/etc.  I like this *a lot*.

The ability to launch special applications when I press buttons doesn't
"press my buttons" :-) Do they work as back/forward in Moz?  That would
be useful.  (I wonder if anyone has gotten Microsoft's new side-to-side
scrolling wheel working either...)

The main reason I bought it was I got tired of replacing my mouse
batteries every week or two.  (I use my computer for much longer per day
and probably move the mouse more than the "statstically average" user
the engineers designed for.)  Tom's Hardware says great things about the
optical engine in the mouse, and I like the way the pads slide.

When I worked at Microsoft I always bought the latest/greatest
mouse/keyboard combo, because at the company store each was never more
than $25.  Now in my post-Microsoft life I wanted to make a statement: I
wanted a mouse that met Microsoft "on its own terms" and succeeded (as
opposed to a cheezy 'good-enough' philosophy).  I still haven't replaced
my Natural Keyboard -- I look at Frys, and haven't seen a superior
keyboard that with the same design-values as the Natural -- only a bunch
of wireless things I don't trust because of security paranoia.