Re: Logitech MX310 mouse: Dead extra button?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 03:15:32PM -0800, Tom wrote:
> The wheel works fine.  The additional button on the right side appears
> to behave identically to the right mouse button.  The additional button
> on the left appears to behave like clicking the wheel button (i.e., the
> middle button) in Mozilla and appears to have bizarre, unpredictable
> effects in gnome-terminal (if I press it while in "less" then "nano"
> gets started and some text gets pasted in).  The small button behind the
> wheel does nothing.

I noticed the same thing.  My mouse had the same config as yours when I
first plugged it in, and I had the same results.  If you run 'xev',
you'll see that those buttons are simply recognized as Button2 and
Button3.  As far as X knows/cares, your real Button2/3 are the exact
same things as the side buttons.  Interesting, though, that the small
middle button is silent.  Could you possibly do me a favor and run
'xev', and then put your mouse cursor over it, and hit that button, and
then report whether anything comes out?

> I wouldn't even know what's useful to map them to in GNU/Linux + X.
> In windows they act as browser-back and browser-forward for Web Pages
> and the shell.  Basically I don't need them.

I bought this mouse specifically because it had lots of buttons, and
didn't have a completely ridiculous price ($30).  At least a *somewhat*
reasonable price.. $50 or $80 is just ridiculous to me for a mouse, I
don't care how many buttons it has.  I'm not sure what I'll use them for
exactly yet, but I know I'll find good uses for them.  For example, I
currently use alt+mouse wheel to raise/lower windows, and I turn off all
auto raising on click/hover/etc.  I like this *a lot*.

If you do feel like making them work, consider my original message a
mini how-to. ;)

--
Nick Welch aka mackstann | mack @ incise.org | http://incise.org
Earn cash in your spare time -- blackmail your friends