Re: migration from RedHat to Debian, general question about Debian (dpkg, kernel, config)

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:01:14 -0800 (PST)
Valentine Kouznetsov <vkuznet@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Question about dpkg:
> 1) dpkg is great, but I cannot figure out one
> simple/usefull procedure. Let's assume I install one
> package and have file /usr/bin/my. Is is possible to
> figure out using dpkg or similar tool to which package
> /usr/bin/my belong to. On RedHat I just invoke rpm -qf
> /usr/bin/my and get back package name.

There's the apt-file tool. Just install the apt-file package and read
the manpage.

> Where correctly put aliases for modules, there so many
> config file for modules on Debian?

/etc/modutils

After modifying or adding files there, run update-modules to update the
configuration.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de