Re: migration from RedHat to Debian, general question about Debian (dpkg, kernel, config)

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 10:36, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Valentine Kouznetsov wrote:
[...]
> > package and have file /usr/bin/my. Is is possible to
> > figure out using dpkg or similar tool to which package
> > /usr/bin/my belong to. On RedHat I just invoke rpm -qf
> > /usr/bin/my and get back package name.
>
> Fram the man page:
>
> dpkg -L | --listfiles package ...
>          List files installed to your system from package.

I think he is actually looking for "dpkg -S /usr/bin/my"

> > 2) Is it possible to check status of installed
> > software, what has been changed from original package,
> > etc. On RedHat it is rpm -V <package>

all packages should have a
/usr/share/doc/packagename/changelog.Debian.gz file.

> > Where correctly put aliases for modules, there so many
> > config file for modules on Debian?
> Either in /etc/modules.conf or in a file in /etc/modutils/
> (it depends on your setup).

You should not hand-edit modules.conf. update-modules will clobber any
changes you make. instead, create a new file /etc/modutils/local and put
your aliases in there, then run update-modules to update modules.conf

> > About runlevels, what the meaning of 2,3,4,5 runlevels
> > on Debian. On RedHat 3 is equivalent to 2 on Debian?
> >
> Basically, butyou can customize them.

Debian doesn't really enforce any policy regarding runlevels other than
runlevel 2 being the default after a clean install. If you install
gdm/kdm/xdm though, every runlevel will start X until you manually
remove the symlink from /etc/rcx.d
--
Mark Roach