Re: dpkg error SID 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.

----- Forwarded message from William DeMeo <williamdemeo@yahoo.com> -----

From: William DeMeo <williamdemeo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: dpkg error SID  4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
To: florian@uni-hd.de
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 03:08:20 -0800 (PST)

[This message is in reponse to the "update-rc.d not found in PATH" problem.  I sent my initial
response (attached) via Google Groups, but it bounced.  The following solves the problem, so you
might want to forward it to Jaye (who posed the question initially) and/or post it to your mailing
list.]

I had the same 'update-rc.d not found' problem.  Apparently, it's a
"known bug in dpkg 1.10."  I followed Stephen Ruger's instructions
(below), and that solved it.

(More precisely, I located my sysvinit package first, then followed
Stephen's directions.  I found an appropriate sysvinit*.deb on iso
disc image 1 of woody.)

--Stephen Ruger wrote:

Use  'dpkg -x sysvinit_something.deb /tmp', copy update-rc.d to
/usr/sbin and
continue upgrading. Known bug in dpkg 1.10, it's going to be fixed
Real Soon
(tm).

mfg,

Stephen R?ger