dpkg error SID 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.

Greetings:

I have been (trying) to test the new Debian installer.  My goal is to get my test box up and running with current SID and then test the new 2.6 kernels.

Every time I attempt to update to SID, I get this dpkg error:

root@localhost:~# agi gpm
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  gpm
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/146kB of archives.
After unpacking 336kB of additional disk space will be used.
dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `install-info' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
root@localhost:~#

Why is this happening?  I have attempted the upgrade several times and each time this is the result.  Something is borked, however, I don't know what that specific something is.  Help/hints wanted.

TIA

Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone