Re: Exim

Daniel Schömer wrote:
* Stephen <dallan@rogers.com>:

Daniel Schömer wrote:

Stephen wrote in article <SXo9.3fV.1@gated-at.bofh.it>:

How does one configure Exim (Woody) to work with smarthost using
AUTH PLAIN? Is the pwd/log supposed to be entered in the exim.cnf
file?  I've tried what has been suggested in the archives, but it
ain't working.

I'm using the following lines at the end of my /etc/exim/exim.conf to
authenticate to my smarthost.  I never tested if I need both plain
and login but it works for me.

#v+
plain:
 driver = plaintext
 public_name = PLAIN
 client_send = "^user^passwd"

login:
 driver = plaintext
 public_name = LOGIN
 client_send = ": user : passwd"
#v-

Thanks, I have that setup the same.

Quick question, how does the l/p info get entered? Is my client, in
this case mutt, supposed to supply the l/p? I did have Exim set up
a couple of years ago to work with SSMTP, (of course I didn't keep my
notes), however I don't think mutt was sending l/p.

I have my login and password in exim.conf.  In the above, replace "user"
with your login and "passwd" with the password.  I've changed the file
permissions so that not everybody can read the file:

-rw-r-----  root  mail  /etc/exim/exim.conf

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for this. Exim, is now communicating with my Smarthost correctly.

_For the Archives_ :

What I was doing wrong was:

	*I didn't understand that the l/pwd had to be entered into the .conf 			 file.
(/etc/exim/exim.conf)

	*I uncommented all the "Auth" scripts at the bottom, rather than 			 guessing
which to use via the trial & error method.