alien / radeon 9600 graphics card probs

I have downloaded a driver for an ATI radeon 9600 graphics card from ati's
website. They provide it as a .rpm file and suggest that debian users use
alien to convert it to a .deb. I did

> alien --to-deb filename.rpm and got the following error output:

Package build failed. Here's the log:
dh_testdir
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_clean -k
dh_installdirs
cp -a lib opt usr debian/fglrx-glc22
dh_installdocs
dh_installchangelogs
dh_compress
dh_makeshlibs
dh_installdeb
dh_shlibdeps
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: ldd on
`debian/fglrx-glc22/lib/modules/fglrx/fglrx.2.4.18-17.7.x-SMP.o' gave
error exit status 1
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code
make: [binary-arch] Error 1 (ignored)
dh_gencontrol
dpkg-gencontrol: failure: chown new files list file: Operation not
permitted
dh_gencontrol: command returned error code
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1

So, "something to do with shared library dependencies" is about as far as
I have got and am likely to get. Do I force it in some way?

kernel 2.4.22

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Dan Davison