Re: Exim

* Stephen <dallan@rogers.com>:
> Daniel Schömer wrote:
>> Stephen wrote in article <SXo9.3fV.1@gated-at.bofh.it>:
>>
>>> How does one configure Exim (Woody) to work with smarthost using
>>> AUTH PLAIN? Is the pwd/log supposed to be entered in the exim.cnf
>>> file?  I've tried what has been suggested in the archives, but it
>>> ain't working.
>>
>> I'm using the following lines at the end of my /etc/exim/exim.conf to
>> authenticate to my smarthost.  I never tested if I need both plain
>> and login but it works for me.
>>
>> #v+
>> plain:
>>   driver = plaintext
>>   public_name = PLAIN
>>   client_send = "^user^passwd"
>>
>> login:
>>   driver = plaintext
>>   public_name = LOGIN
>>   client_send = ": user : passwd"
>> #v-
>
> Thanks, I have that setup the same.
>
> Quick question, how does the l/p info get entered? Is my client, in
> this case mutt, supposed to supply the l/p? I did have Exim set up
> a couple of years ago to work with SSMTP, (of course I didn't keep my
> notes), however I don't think mutt was sending l/p.

I have my login and password in exim.conf.  In the above, replace "user"
with your login and "passwd" with the password.  I've changed the file
permissions so that not everybody can read the file:

-rw-r-----  root  mail  /etc/exim/exim.conf

--
All messages to the from: address are deleted immediately.  To contact
my in private, please use reply-to.  Replace " d-o-t " with "." and