emacs -nw and emacsclient

hey folks,

I use emacs as my main text editor, but vastly prefer to run emacs in
an xterm (emacs -nw) over xemacs (xemacs is quite ugly, to the point
of unreadability, as currently configured on my machine; and also I
often write mail via ssh with X forwarding enabled, so if Xemacs
starts up in this situation I'm left with a hofrribly slow editor).

Everywhere I look it says I should use emacsclient to manage multiple
emacs sessions.  And I'd love to, isnce its way fast and it's great to
be able to access all my buffers.  But I want the textfile or mail to
show up in the xterm window 'm currently using.

That is, I'd like to have something along the lines of
"emacsclient -nw" as my default editor.  But as far as I can tell this
option isn't available.  Any suggestions?

Thanks as always,

Matt