Re: How to install ?

Touhid Ghasemi wrote:
Hello
I want to join to Linux Users , now i'm using MS-Win XP Home , but i want to install Debian on my computer, i'v downloaded all of 7 CD Images from FTP site and already have em on CD. problem is here that , i want to keep my windows xp and use linux behind my windows without loosing anything, i have just one partition that's C and the capacity of drive is 60GB that 25 GB is free. now i dont know how to create new partition than linux can install itself. which type of partition i need to create?
please help me how i can install debian in this situation.
With the best regards. T.Gh

This instruction manual should cover most of your questions.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install

Basically, boot off the CD; about the second step or so will be to partition your disk; leave /dev/hda1 alone as that's your Windows partition; delete /dev/hda2 (which should be your 25GB partition)[1], and then use that blank space to create new partitions, something like:
/dev/hda1	ntfs primary
/dev/hda2	ext2 primary	for /	about 500MB
/dev/hda5	ext2 logical	for /usr  about 6GB
/dev/hda6	ext2 logical	for /var  about 1GB
/dev/hda7	ext2 logical    for /home about 20GB
/dev/hda8       ext2 logical    for /tmp  about 100MB
/dev/hda9	ext2 logical	for /spare whatever's left over minus
				the amount of RAM you have
/dev/hda10	ext2 primary	for swap  about the amount of RAM you
				have, or even double or triple that

Mind you, these are not absolutes; they're just what I would do, and it's quite religious; every one has their own favorite schemes for partitioning. If you wanted, you could just have one huge 24GB / partition and a 1GB swap partition. It also depends on what you plan to do with your box. Just google for "linux partition scheme" and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of opinions and rationales for lots of different schemes.

[1]
I just now re-read your posting, and I think I misunderstood what you said. I first understood you to say you had a 60GB partition and 25GB partition. Rereading it, I think you're saying you have one 60GB partition, of which 25GB is free space as reported by Windows. In this case, ignore what I wrote above, and read an earlier posting today about "Problems partitioning an XP disk"; the short answer is that you'll probably have to backup Windows, repartition/reformat the drive, restore Windows, then install Debian. Nasty, I know.

--
Kent