Re: How to install ?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Install-Strategies/index.html

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+Windows-HOWTO/index.html

>     Linux+WindowsNT mini-HOWTO
>     http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+WinNT.html
>
> Peace.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  What Part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?
>   Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux
> dispute.
>       http://sco.iwethey.org/

(This is a repost from the knoopix, woody and lilo
thread)

Here is what i did I am not sure this is recommended,
but it works wonderfully for me.

I bought a used 10G hardrive and installed it in my
computer has hda (primary IDE master) and I installed
Linux on that drive.  My original windows install is
now primary IDE slave. I modified LILO so I can load
XP or Linux. (see below - somehow the dual boot
standard HOWTO way didn't work for me)

That way i am sure I cannot messup with anything on my
original installation. I can always go back to my
original install if I find the Debian learning curve
to steep at times :).

Drawback: Since windows is partitionned in NTFS I
could
only read my windows file from the Linux side.
You will need fs2explorer (google) to overcome this.

Here is how I modified lilo.conf after googling for
some time:
http://www.ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk/klug/klug-general/2003-January/000060.html

other = /dev/hdb1
  label = windows
  map-drive = 0x80
  to = 0x81
  map-drive = 0x81
  to = 0x80
  table = /dev/hdb

But backupping first is a good idea... I did not and,
although everything went smoothly, I was a bit
stressed during the whole process about loosing data

GL!