Re: How to install ?

on Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 04:00:32AM +0200, Touhid Ghasemi (039118@students.emu.edu.tr) wrote:
> Hello
> I want to join to Linux Users , now i'm using MS-Win XP Home , but i
> want to install Debian on my computer, i'v downloaded all of 7 CD
> Images from FTP site and already have em on CD.
>
> problem is here that , i want to keep my windows xp and use linux
> behind my windows without loosing anything, i have just one partition
> that's  C and the capacity of drive is 60GB that 25 GB is free.
>
> now i dont know how to create new partition than linux can install
> itself. which type of partition i need to create?
>
> please help me how i can install debian in this situation.

First:  BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM.  If you cannot create a backup, you may
lose all your data.  This happens regularly on the #debian IRC support
channel, to people who've been warned that repartitioning a drive
without backups is playing Russian roulette.

As an alternative:  buy a second hard drive and install GNU/Linux onto
this.  It's significantly less complex than repartitioning, and cheaper
than buying a backup solution (though I'd recommend you do that as
well).

Read the following.

    Read the Debian Installation manual:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install

    Linux Installation Strategies mini-HOWTO
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Install-Strategies/index.html

    Linux + Windows HOWTO
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+Windows-HOWTO/index.html

    Linux+WindowsNT mini-HOWTO
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+WinNT.html

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/