Re: [OT] RE: Opium (Proposal?)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:32:09 -0500
Alfredo Valles <alfredo@bioinfo.cu> wrote:

> On Monday 17 November 2003 11:33 am, Colin Watson wrote:
> >
> > No, the way to avoid the flamewars is for you to be less selfish and
> > have them somewhere else where they might actually be approximately
> > on-topic. This is *debian-user*, so please keep threads here at
> > least vaguely related to Debian.
>
> As these topics have obviously so much popularity between debian
> community maybe it would be a good idea to create a debian-world list,
> where debian people could discuss about general topics, politics,
> philosophy, etc...
>
> I mean if we admit that debian community as a whole share some common
> points of views, it would be very interesting to here them.
>

> Alfredo

This is constructive.
There is obviously a requirement, and it would provide a venue for those
that are interested in discussions of this nature, while maintaining it
within, and thereby promoting the community aspect of Debian.

By creating a venue of this type, you would also have personalities that
would be interested in maintaining a reasonable standard in idea
interchange that would probably deliver the same message to the
purveyors of drivel that they are receiving now. I was participating
initially, but the situation has deteriorated to that of your average
mental midget.

The second creative aspect is that it would remove a distraction from
Debian-User, and allow the function of that list to proceed on its'
principal course, preserving goodwill within the community. A mature
personality is creative, any idiot can be destructive, m'kay?:)

With personally noted migration of Red Hat users to Debian recently,
because of the Red Hat desertion of the desktop, the new Debian
installer, and the Progeny port of Anaconda, I see the potential of
Debian use doubling, so beside Alfredos' recommendation, I would
respectfully suggest the creation of at least two other mailing lists.
Networking and Mail (icorporating spamassassin, clamav, etc.,) are two
subjects that I have noticed have a high incidence and may well rate
their own venues. If Debian adoption becomes as I suspect, Debian-User
as the 'general' list would be deluged. But assumption isn't a sound
basis, and these last two may be premature.
Regards,

David.

___

Iraq over?
Quick, change channels.
Let's see what's happening with 'Southpark.'