Re: network/name resolution problems

Hi,

Am Montag, 17. November 2003 18:07 schrieb Dan Davison:
> The network settings I am using work under windows on my other partition,
> and worked on another machine running debian with a 2.2.xx kernel.
>
> I am running kernel 2.4.22. If this is unwise for someone as
> linux-incompetent as me, my excuse is that it seemed like I needed it to
> have support for my ATI radeon 9600 graphics card (of which more on
> another post i'm afraid) and my SiS 900 fast ethernet card.

When I understood you well than is there a win-partition that works
with a second (debian)-computer (in a lokal network) as a router.

So, why do't you note the dates on the win-computer (e.g. IP,
DNS, Gateway(GW) ...) and duplicate it on the linux-partition?

Your reply to Monique's mail:
>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0A:E6:BD:B9:DA
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:44555 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>          RX bytes:4690750 (4.4 MiB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe800

There is no IP. So I think, you have no access to a DHCP-Server
and should configure a fix IP. If your computer has no IP assigned
then this machine isn't addressable in an IP-network.

Ok, it's a bit messy :-). It would be helpfull, to have your:
- routing-table (you get it with "netstat -rn")
- the routing-table of the other debian machine
- the ifconfig-output from the other debian machine
- the dates from your win-partition (that works).

Bye, Werner

--
Werner Scharinger
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter der

Fördermitglied der Wirtschaftsjunioren Passau
Mitglied der Strategiekommission der Wirtschaftsjunioren Deutschland
c/o IHK für Niederbayern in Passau * Nibelungenstr. 15 * 94032 Passau