Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 14:43, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 03:06:13AM +0000, ben wrote:
> > in fact, i remember that the father-son assault of a baseball
> > umpire somewhere in the midwest made the nightly news because it was
> > quite uncharacteristic of sports fans in the u.s.
>
> And yet, when there's a huge victory or upset in pro or college
> football, and even every once in a while with high school football,
> there's the "victory riot."

It's still very rare for post-game riots to occur.  Positing that
there are 120 Division 1A college teams playing men's basketball,
and they all have 25 game seasons, that's (120*25)/2 = 1500 games,
and a riot after the final game of the Final Four, that's 1 riot
out of 1500, and there's no guarantee that the riot will occur,
either.

In fact police (to a degree) have learned how to prevent riots.
For example, in New Orleans, you get 1+ million people, ranging
from (a very few) sober people to extremely intoxicated, and there
are never any riots.  (In fact, I've seen people cheer when the
cops beat drunk revelers who disobey the cops, since, as drunk as
we are, we know that "crossing the line" leads to anarchy, and the
ruin of Mardi Gras.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Why is cyber-crime not being effectively controlled? What is
fueling the rampancy?
* Parental apathy & the public education system
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-
150.html