Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:01, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 05:08, cr wrote:
>
> [snip]

> > > And...
> > > - most are done with hot weapons
> > > - most are "criminal-on-criminal"
> > >
> > > I'd rather not live in a nanny state, and take my chance, however
> > > minimal they are, in a slightly more anarchic society.
> >
> > That's kinda a risky argument to rely on, since if accepted it inevitably
> > leads to the question - why does the US have ten times as many homicidal
> > criminals per capita, than other countries?   Answers in the back of an
> > envelope please, addressed to the Director-General, FBI, Washington (I
> > guess he'd dearly like to know...)     <vbeg>
>
> You think the (main) reasons why the US has become a relatively
> violent society over the past 45 years would fit on the back of an
> envelope?  Well, lets see what's on the top of my head:
> - breakdown of the family
>   - divorce/abandonment
>   - fear by modern parents of damaging children's self-esteem
>   - parents wanting to be "friends"
>   - federal regs that make it financially more attractive for the
>     father to leave.
> - excessive amounts of TV
> - breakdown of public morality
>   - libertine-ism instead of liberty
>   - for *example*, the HBOization of broadcast TV
>   - ties in with "breakdown of the family"
> - growth in use of illegal drugs, in past ~40 years
>   - ties into "breakdown of the family" and "breakdown of public
>     morality"

While I agree about the trashiness of most modern TV, not least in its
trivial reporting of 'news' events, surely all these factors exist in other
countries too?

But anyway, this is all way OT in this list, and I don't know the magic
ingredient, so I think I'll leave it there.

cr