Re: Newbie

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:00:44 -0800, Steven Bradley wrote:

> Hi,=20
> Just finished with a fresh install of 3.0, got all the way to the end =
> where it was time to  reboot put in user name and password this is what =
> followed after hitting enter; stinger@debian:~$. Is there another =
> command that is needed or is something not installed rihght.
>
> Thanks

There are lots of commands you can do, but you'll have to learn about them.
If you are looking for a desktop, you will probably need to install it.
Otherwise I think you would have received a graphical login when you booted.
One way to install the desktop is to use tasksel.  You will need to
temporarily be root to do that.

/bin/su -
give the root password

tasksel
choose the Desktop

I think it will offer to configure it.  Otherwise you will have to do that
later.

After the installation is complete, type 'exit' to get back to being a user.
Then try 'startx' to see if you have a desktop.  If it fails, then more work
on configuration will be needed.

Anita