Re: Totally [OT] Re: Opium

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 04:44:48AM -0800, Tom Ballard wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:48:40PM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 03:21:12 -0800,
> > Tom <tb.31112.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > <[🔎] 20031116112112.GA10899@comcast.net>:

> > > Why is it socially acceptable to call me a redneck and cast me in a
> > > villainous light?
> >
> > ..because you in your last few posts, earned it.
> > Reread this thread when you get sober.
>
> I'm dead solid sober.  When you spend your whole life where the ONLY
> FUCKING GROUP OF HUMANS whom it is completely okay to hate is YOU, you
> tend to get a little sensitive.
>
> I'm American, I'm white, I'm a man, I'm Southern.  Every time I turn on
> the TV I'm the bad guy.  Anybody can talk shit about me with no
> negative consequences.  I bear no ill will to any group of people (only
> individuals), and I get crucified.

...the "NOT IN MY NAME" protests against the Iraq war being something
similar. These were partly aimed at our own government, and partly at
the Arab nations - "the *people* don't want this war, don't hate us
because our supposedly democratic government won't listen to us".

Personally, I think the Queen should have intervened. It was in her
name too, and I don't think she was exactly enthusiastic about it.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons