Re: Debian for enterprise

First let me say that Debian makes a great enterprise platform.  I am
using it for such myself.  But actually, I only use it for the base
framework.  I carefully drive the addition and deletion of packages.

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > Do 'apt-get source <package>' (which always gets you the latest
> > source). Then 'cd <package>-<version> && dpkg-buildpackage'
>
> Yup, that's cool and all, but really, it doesn't answer the question,
> what is it to gain by having outdated packages in the archive...?

Your point gets debated often on the debian lists.  The end result is
almost always that debian needs to release more often.  The current
release cycle is way too long.  The solution to this problem is not so
clear.  Everyone has ideas.  There is always fierce flame^Wdiscussion
about the solution.  But still the release cycle is too long.

I almost posted my own opinions.  But that would just take this thread
way off topic.

Bob