Re: Debian for enterprise

On Sunday 16 November 2003 11:54, John L. Fjellstad wrote:
> The newbie wouldn't pick it from the crackers site, because the
> newbie would just change his sources.list file to point at testing or
> unstable.

Not if he wants to use stable. snort in unstable depends on libc6 (>=
2.3.2-1), so upgrading to snort in unstable means upgrading libc6 to
unstable.

Really, newbies do run servers (I do), and they know that server should
be on stable (I do), but it is not easy to know what you should do to
very outdated packages.

And I mean, the core question is: What is the advantage of not updating
packages, when the package is in question is so old you shouldn't use
it?

Best,

Kjetil
--