Re: tulip

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:37:04 -0600,
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3FB6F0E0.2050807@acu.edu>:

> paul valley wrote:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I will be leaving M$ :-[ behind soon and installing debian :-) :-)
> > :-)  however theres a problem i need to address on two fronts First
> > i have fjound that i have a linksys pci nic which means i have the
> > tulip driver :-(  A how can i install this with minimal fuss because
> > the second half is that i am learning disabled thus install software
> > and driver can sometimes be tricky =-O  for example it took me all
> > of a week to install a scanner driver any help and tip would be
> > great
> >
> > Paul

..first try ' ifconfig ;lsmod ;modprobe tulip ;lsmod ; ifconfig ', if
these works,
do as Kent says for the permanent fix.

..if they don't work, open another cli and do ' tail -f
/var/log/messages '
and go back to your original cli and try again, the log tail will tell
the
what-n-hows, if you don't understand it, post the output here, and
we'll guide you fixing it.

> edit "/etc/modules" and add the single line:
>    tulip
>
> Reboot (not strictly necessary, but easy to do to accomplish what
> needs to be done).
>
> Your nic is now working.  (That's not to say that your networking is
> working, but your nic is.)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: