Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 04:57:21PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:23:59PM -0800, Tom wrote:
> > compared to the taliban and the islamists, I cannot believe you are
> > acusing *US* of advocating a theocracy.  talk about head up the ass.
>
> We're not a whole lot better.  Remember the cold war and it's spinoff
> conflicts in Vietnam and Korea?  The US killed countless many people
> because those in power in the US didn't like the structure of
> government.
>
> > That is, the outcome was indeterminate.  So anybody else who could have
> > potentially been said to "win" would be equally illegitmate.  It kind of
> > sucks when you have a country without a president, so we had to do some
> > Solomonic justice.  Any outcome would have been equally arbitrary, this
> > one was least constitutionally harmful.
>
> If we didn't have an electoral college, it would never have come down
> to that point.

The electoral college is supposed to prevent us from ever electing a
tyrant.  (This is the point where the peanut gallery all pipes in).

The framers had in mind that these really great (white, male) guys would
kinda "do the right thing."  The system breaks down if (white|nonwhite,
male|female) people don't act in the spirit in which the framers
intended.  You can argue that its time for a replacment, or try to do
what they intended.