Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:14:38 -0800
<donw@examen.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:39:31AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Since the US hasn't ratified the ICJ treaty, it can't happen, unless
> > the Europeans come in (in force) and *take* GWB.  (Ha ha ha ha ha.)
>
> First off, my advance apologies for a bit of rambling; I'm quite
> tired, overly caffeinated, and coming off a very long work-week.  That
> being said...
>
> To be honest, I doubt the Europeans would have to; they just need to
> stay out of our way as we self-destruct.  The U.S. is, sadly, heading
> along the merry path of the Roman empire.  I'd wager that in less than
> a century, you will see the birth of a true theocracy within the U.S.

whatever about the rest, a theocracy in a century! bush has already made
public statements about how god instructed him to invade afghanistan and
iraq. what the hell happend to separation of church and state? on top of
that, nobody in the u.s. reacts; which fully lends credence to the
statement about the merry path. apathy is what destroys hope, and the
apathy and complacence of the u.s. citizenry is putting the rest of the
world in jeapordy. there is a vast difference between the energy of
those who engaged in the original debates about the ethics and
constitution of your first independent government and the mass lethargy
of the current population. the only valid argument against democracy is
the u.s.

not only do you have an unelected head of state, but those in power at
the present time are doing all they can to hastily invalidate the basic
tenets of democracy. from the outside looking in, the rest of us on the
planet can only hope that the versions of democracy we develop will
serve as a means for the u.s. to find its way back to the original idea.

ben