Re: What is required to deliver system mail locally ???

Hello

Tom (<tb.31112.nospam@comcast.net>) wrote:

> Is there any reason why exim has to listen on all IP addresses by
> default?  I think it would be reasonable to ask during eximconf
> whether or not one wants to listen on 127.0.0.1 only.
>
> Is it worth filing a wishlist bug?

By default exim is not running in standalone mode. It is called by
inetd, and as far as I know you /cannot/ tell inetd which interfaces it
should listen to. To do so inetd would have to be replaced by xinetd.
You can however control inetd through /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny. Or, of course change the default config to let it run
in standalone mode.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--