Re: What is required to deliver system mail locally ???

Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> [2003:11:15:09:15:22+0100] scribed:
> Hello
>
> John L. Fjellstad (<john-debian@fjellstad.org>) wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 15 November 2003 01:42, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> >> I do not want exim, nor its ilk, on open port 25.
> >>
> >> I do want system mail (cron, error messages, &c.) to be delivered to
> >> root.
> >>
> >> Is exim required?
> >>
> >> If I uninstall exim, will system mail continue to be delivered?
> >>
> >> What is the Debian way to accomplish these goals?
> >
> > You don't need a MTA (like Exim) listening on port 25, to have it do
> > local
> > delivery.  For instance, in qmail (which I'm familiar with), the
> > listener program is a separate program from the delivery mechanism
> > (don't know how it is in exim).
>
> In fact, exim doesn't have to be running at all to have local email
> delivered. Deinstalling however will cause dependency problems because
> packages like anacron, at, mailx and logrotate depend on MTA.

OK, I guess this is where my thinking comes in.

I have rerun eximconf, and told it to use option #4, that this computer
is *not* on the Internet, and to only deliver local mail.  Of course,
now nothing is listening on port 25 ;>

Nevertheless, having exim installed on this system appears to be
overkill, and a possible security hole.

I want local system mail delivered; and, I want ``packages like anacron,
at, mailx and logrotate'' to function properly.

What is the Debian way to promote this absolutely minimal mail system?

How do others handle this?

--
Best Regards,

mds