Re: What is required to deliver system mail locally ???

Hello

John L. Fjellstad (<john-debian@fjellstad.org>) wrote:

> On Saturday 15 November 2003 01:42, Michael D Schleif wrote:
>> I do not want exim, nor its ilk, on open port 25.
>>
>> I do want system mail (cron, error messages, &c.) to be delivered to
>> root.
>>
>> Is exim required?
>>
>> If I uninstall exim, will system mail continue to be delivered?
>>
>> What is the Debian way to accomplish these goals?
>
> You don't need a MTA (like Exim) listening on port 25, to have it do
> local
> delivery.  For instance, in qmail (which I'm familiar with), the
> listener program is a separate program from the delivery mechanism
> (don't know how it is in exim).

In fact, exim doesn't have to be running at all to have local email
delivered. Deinstalling however will cause dependency problems because
packages like anacron, at, mailx and logrotate depend on MTA.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen