Re: window manager recomendation

on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 03:51:10AM +0200, Micha Feigin (michf@post.tau.ac.il) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hoping this won't turn into a flame war, I am looking for
> recommendations for a window manager. I tried quiet a few but none seem
> to fit the bill yet.

> I need a window manager with the following

> - As lite as possible on memory (I heavily stress my laptop so I don't
>   have much to spare).

Outside of GNOME and KDE themselves, pretty much any WM should fit your
bill.  Fluxbox, Blackbox, WindowMaker, fvwm, icewm, and twm in
particular are light and are/were designed for low-end hardware.

For general information on window managers, I strongly recommend the
"Window Managers For X" page:

    http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

> - Multiple desktops

All of the above, excepting twm.  Pretty much *any* WM gives you this
capability.

> - A pop up menu application (don't need a panel) that has support for
>   both the debian menus and a custom menu.

Again: pretty much any WM has this capability.  The Debian menu system
is independent of WM and allows for user customization.  In my case, I
use WindowMaker, have replaced the default root menu with one of my own
choosing, but have a hook back into the system Debian menus as well.

> - Hotkeys (mainly for maximize/minimize/desktop switch)

Again: pretty much any WM has this capability.  WindowMaker's hotkey
configuration is IMO particularly clean.

> - multiple desktops

Again:  Again:  Multiple multiple desktops desktops?

...or is it that you just really want this feature?  ;-)

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/