Social Engineering. {was: Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:41:32 -0800
<donw@examen.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:35:20PM -0500, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> > On Friday 14 November 2003 1:14 pm, donw@examen.com wrote:
> >
> > > On the upside, those with the brains to move
> > > themselves up on the socioeconomic ladder will do quite well.
> >
> > I don't think they will do so well with the number of guns you have
> > in the streets, bullets don't distinguish Ph degrees.
>
> PhDs and brains don't go hand-in-hand; part of being smart is knowing
> how to work within whatever cultural limitations you must; in the case
> of firearm-owning Americans, you just need to be smart enough not to
> not get on their bad side.  Social engineering at its most useful.

Agreed.
Einstein failed a maths exam, didn't see the sense in memorising
multiplication tables when they were already written down.
The education programme, which varies extensively with any particular
environment, is initiated from approved texts. The most successful
(individuals?) within the restrictions of the imposed paradigms gains
the appropriate marks of social approval. Thinking outside the square
and other symptoms of intelligence are looked down upon. and even
derogated.
The modern 'educational' process is there to teach people how to read
just well enough so that they no longer need to think.
Regards,

David.