Re: Geological tracking application

On Friday 14 November 2003 20:41, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Is anyone aware of Linux-based application capable of proving visual
> geographical tracking?
>
> To be more specific:
> We are a fishing company.  Every daily we receive reports from our
> vessels about their location, water temp and depth, fish caught,
> weather, fuel, etc., etc.
> This data is entered into a database.  It would great to have an
> application that could take that data and put it on a map.  This way
> we could track trends, perform historical analyses, etc.

Interesting!

> I realize there is probably nothing specifically that meets our
> needs, but close enough that with a little reprogramming would, in
> fact, work.

I am not aware of any specific software, however, I would assume that
what you want falls within the domain of Geographical Information
Systems, usually abbreviated GIS.

While I haven't tried any such system there are many of them available,
there is a site that seems to have a comprehensive overview:
http://freegis.org/
I think you will find something there that would get you started.

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo