Re: What's the best package manager for single-package upgrades?#

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 03:56, Joe Rhett wrote:

> > Use a real package manager (not apt-get) which shows you new packages.
>
> The really funny thing about this whole topic is that we've now come full
> circle.  Read the subject line.

Well, apt-get simply is no package manager. At least not in the common
sense. apt-get install <whatever> is a great thing if you already know
what you want, but a package manager provides a little more, UI-wise.

Browsable package lists, for example.

I'm quite fond of aptitude, give that one a try. Can be used like
apt-get, but has also an interactive mode (ie, browser). Some say
synaptic is even better, but it's an X application I've never really
tried.

So much for the topic at hand... in general: fear not.
It's part of the Linux learning process that one learns where to pick up
information. man, info, /usr/share/doc/, www... google is your friend,
but google is not the be-all and end-all of everything.
Especially if you what you're looking for can't easily be phrased as a
search term, or scores far too many hits.
Keep in mind that many applications have their own mailing lists. And
while you probably don't want to subscribe to all of them, you might get
better results when searching their arcives directly than via google.

> > Wrong:
> http://source.backports.org/debian/dists/woody/mozilla/binary-i386/
> > has mozilla 1.5.
>
> How is one to find this?  I didn't find a link to that site anywhere

www.apt-get.org -- I wish I'd found out about that site a lot sooner
that I actually did. Your bookmarks ain't complete without it.

cu,
Schnobs