Re: What's the best package manager for single-package upgrades?#

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:53:12AM -0800, Joe Rhett wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > Ah, that would explain your confusion. 'apt-get upgrade' isn't what you
> > want, since as documented in the apt-get(8) man page it will not install
> > new packages. In particular, if you attempt to use 'apt-get upgrade' to
> > upgrade from stable to testing, it will refuse to upgrade libc6 because
> > of that package's new dependency on libdb1-compat, and therefore
> > virtually nothing else will be upgraded because it almost all depends on
> > the new libc6.
>
> Actually, it does attempt that when I prefer 'unstable' .. and it fails.
> I had to manually back that stuff out.

Perhaps you could actually show us what's happening when you try to
upgrade to testing, i.e. a complete transcript of what you're doing?
Guesswork isn't really so much fun.

> > Don't use 'apt-get upgrade' to upgrade from one version of the
> > distribution to the next. That said, it should have told you that some
> > big number of packages were being held back.
>
> Nope.  "No updates are available" or whatever.

"Or whatever"? Again, exact transcripts please, including
/etc/apt/sources.list.

> > > Updates to the wireless drivers to improve device support would be
> > > useful.
> >
> > Kernel updates go in pretty quickly, as a rule. wireless-tools is up to
> > date in testing, and linux-wlan-ng is only a fraction behind unstable.
>
> Why isn't it showing me these?

Kernel package names change, therefore package management tools don't
upgrade them automatically, which is probably a good thing for kernels.
Use a real package manager (not apt-get) which shows you new packages.

> > > Stuff that has been safe and stable within Sid for over a year now
> > > (according to the package pages) still isn't appearing in testing.
> >
> > Examples, please? I'd be happy to look at them and see what I can do; I
> > can certainly explain what problems are involved.
>
> Perhaps related to above?  Am I doing something wrong that I'm not seeing
> this stuff?

As I said, I need examples and transcripts.

Cheers,