Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

Mark Healey wrote:

That's the problem.  My nic isn't listed.  The Tigon3 is listed but
not the 4401.

I couldn't find out how to include a module that isn't listed but for
which one has the source.

Is there any significant reason to prefer having it in the kernel as
opposed to just having it installed at boot?

If I understand what you're asking, you're asking the difference between built-in support and support via module.

Having support built-in means the support is provided more immediately than if a module has to be built. I believe it also takes a bit less resources and is a bit faster as it's "more integrated". Of course, that also means it's always eating up those resources, as opposed to a module that can be unloaded when it's not needed.

Ok, it is in /etc/modules and seems to be working.  Now I just need to
know where I put the ip address, gateway address, netmask (I don't
know what this one does but my ISP assigned me one), and name server
addresses for that card.

This means you've found a module for your nic? Whoo-hoo!

The Debian way is to edit /etc/network/interfaces. It'll need to look something like this:

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
       address 192.168.123.2
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       gateway 192.168.123.1

#iface eth0 inet dhcp

If you were to use dhcp instead of a static address, you'd comment out the static lines and uncomment the dhcp line.

Then to bring the interface up or down, just run "/etc/init.d/networking start" or "/etc/init.d/networking stop".

--
Kent