Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:56:20 -0800 (PST), Mark Healey wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:17:43 -0600, Kent West wrote:
>
>>Mark Healey wrote:
>>
>>>After not getting any instructions on how to compile a module that
>>>didn't come with the source into a kernel I gave up and decided to
>>>just do the nic module as installable.
>>>
>>>Since I had the source for the new kernel I went ahead and compiled it
>>>by Kents 10 step list.  I left the things I didn't understand at their
>>>default value.
>>>
>>>It booted and seems to run as before.
>>>
>>>I then made the nic module and make installed it.
>>>

>>You should have been able to add the nic module during the 10-step
>>procedure, and then you wouldn't have to "make" the nic module and "make
>>install" it afterwards. While configuring your kernel (Step 6 in the
>>"Kent's 10-Step Procedure to Compiling a Debian Kernel" portion of
>>/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz), you need to go into the
>>"Network Device Support" option, then probably "Ethernet (1000Mbit)",
>>then put an "M" in front of "Broadcom Tigon3 Support" (assuming this is
>>the correct driver for your Broadcom nic).
>
>That's the problem.  My nic isn't listed.  The Tigon3 is listed but
>not the 4401.
>
>I couldn't find out how to include a module that isn't listed but for
>which one has the source.
>
>Is there any significant reason to prefer having it in the kernel as
>opposed to just having it installed at boot?

Ok, it is in /etc/modules and seems to be working.  Now I just need to
know where I put the ip address, gateway address, netmask (I don't
know what this one does but my ISP assigned me one), and name server
addresses for that card.

Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com

Giving debian a chance.