Re: Woody Soundblaster Config Trouble

In article <[🔎] Law14-F58Foai8XKPl50000247e@hotmail.com> you wrote:
> Hi
> After installing Woody on my desktop can anyone advise on the correct setup
> for a Soundblaster card.
> At the moment I am getting these errors when KDE starts:-
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)

If 'locate /dev/dsp' doesn't show anything I think you'll have to install
ALSA and run the script:  /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/examples/snddevices

You can use 'lspci' to find out which module you need.  One the lines
should look like:

 00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)

If it says EMU10k1, just add "emu10k1" to /etc/modules.  Then either
reboot or use 'insmod' to install the module.

If I remember correctly that's all I had to do.  But there are some
packages you might eventually need that are not mentioned in any of
the FAQs, etc.  They are:

 aumix-gtk - Simple mixer control program with GUI and text interfaces
 setcd - Control the behaviour of your cdrom device
 eject - ejects CDs and operates CD-Changers under Linux

If a program that uses /dev/dsp locks up for some reason, you can try:
'fuser [-k] /dev/dsp'

    Larry