Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:17:43 -0600, Kent West wrote:

>Mark Healey wrote:
>
>>After not getting any instructions on how to compile a module that
>>didn't come with the source into a kernel I gave up and decided to
>>just do the nic module as installable.
>>
>>Since I had the source for the new kernel I went ahead and compiled it
>>by Kents 10 step list.  I left the things I didn't understand at their
>>default value.
>>
>>It booted and seems to run as before.
>>
>>I then made the nic module and make installed it.
>>

>You should have been able to add the nic module during the 10-step
>procedure, and then you wouldn't have to "make" the nic module and "make
>install" it afterwards. While configuring your kernel (Step 6 in the
>"Kent's 10-Step Procedure to Compiling a Debian Kernel" portion of
>/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz), you need to go into the
>"Network Device Support" option, then probably "Ethernet (1000Mbit)",
>then put an "M" in front of "Broadcom Tigon3 Support" (assuming this is
>the correct driver for your Broadcom nic).

That's the problem.  My nic isn't listed.  The Tigon3 is listed but
not the 4401.

I couldn't find out how to include a module that isn't listed but for
which one has the source.

Is there any significant reason to prefer having it in the kernel as
opposed to just having it installed at boot?

Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com

Giving debian a chance.