Re: modprobe question

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
On Wednesday 12 November 2003 20:53, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Right Kjetil! And I figured out that backstreet-ruby removed it.

Yup! :-)

I cannot find keybdev anywhere in the 2.4.22 kernel that I am
using, except for traces in the documenation, but nothing in
.config

keybdev has been removed in 2.6 IIUC, and since backstreet-ruby is
a backport of some console and input stuff, keybdev is gone.

What I still cannot figure out is where modprobe finds the
dependency, if I cannot find any reference to it in /etc or /lib...

No, I didn't figure out that either...

See the next post by Florian: it comes from the fact that the "above" is hardcoded in the upgraded modutils.

I would like to understand what that does, the man modules.conf is obscure:

[add] above module module_list
This directive makes it possible for one module to "pull in"
another set of modules on top of itself in a module stack,
as seen in the output of the lsmod(8) command.
The above directive is useful for those circumstances when the dependencies
are more complex than what can be described in the
modules.dep dependency file.
This is an optimized case of the post-install
and pre-remove directives.
Note that failure of installing the module will not influence the
exit status of modprobe.
The optional add
prefix adds the new list to the previous list instead of replacing it.

Why does "above hid usbcore" get rid of his earlier dependency?

Hugo.

The advice I got was to add
above hid usbcore
to /etc/modutils/local (or somewhere equivalent).

Will do! Still a puzzle where this thing came from after a
dist-upgrade I forgot to do previously...

Yeah... I'm most puzzled that it didn't break earlier... :-) Basically, I upgraded everything to unstable before even trying backstreet ruby...
Cheers,

Kjetil