Re: modprobe question

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
On Wednesday 12 November 2003 15:30, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi!

I just dist-upgraded a sarge partition.

Now the hid module for the usb mice will not load.

If you do "modprobe hid" he says "cannot find keybdev which is needed
by hid".

You're the one using backstreet-ruby, right...?

Right Kjetil! And I figured out that backstreet-ruby removed it.

I cannot find keybdev anywhere in the 2.4.22 kernel that I am using,
except for traces in the documenation, but nothing in .config

keybdev has been removed in 2.6 IIUC, and since backstreet-ruby is a backport of some console and input stuff, keybdev is gone.

What I still cannot figure out is where modprobe finds the dependency, if I cannot find any reference to it in /etc or /lib...

The advice I got was to add
above hid usbcore
to /etc/modutils/local (or somewhere equivalent).

Will do! Still a puzzle where this thing came from after a dist-upgrade I forgot to do previously...

Thanks!

Hugo

Basically, you don't need keybdev, but you have to tell your system about it... :-)
Cheers,

Kjetil