Re: migrating /home to a new partition

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 05:10:19PM +0000, ben wrote:
> anyone know how to safely migrate /home to a new partition? i've googled
> and checked the archives but can't find appropriate info.

Hi,

Make backups :) ...
Buy insurance ...

- you can got to runlevel 1 ("init 1", no network, only root user)
(you might need to format the mount partition, mount it as /newhome,
 you might want to use	ext3 ...  see "mkfs")

(allocate new partition, add new disk ...)

#  mkfs -t ext3 -m0 /dev/my_new_partition_change_me
#  cd /
#  mkdir /newhome
#  mount -t ext3 /dev/my_new_partition_change_me /newhome
#  cp -Rdp /home/* /newhome
#  umount /newhome
#  umount /home
#  mount /dev/my_new_partition_change_me /newhome
#  check if it works ...
#  check if it works ...
#  keep the backup for a while.

I might be missing something, I'm sleepy.
Maybe I am deleting everything...
Please read the manpages before issuing commands :)

--
http://geocities.com/arhuaco

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself
and you are the easiest person to fool.
     -- Richard Feynman.