Re: Debian version

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:24:12AM -0800, Drew wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> FWIW I did search the archives first but...
>
> I am trying to figure out what version of debian I am
> running.  /etc/issue* and /etc/debian_version all
> state unstable/testing, but I don't know when this box
> was installed.  This box could be potato, from when
> potato was unstable, but how to tell?

unstable is always 'sid'. slink/potato/woody started life as testing
(afaik) before migrating to stable.

> I am attempting to determine what release this box is
> slink, potato, woody, sarge?

check sources.list
	stable net address   == woody
	testing net address  == sarge
	unstable net address == sid

If your sources.list has cdrom  or local entries, you may have to dig
the CDs out. Also if you haven't done an apt-get update/upgrade in ages,
you may be lagging behind a distro (e.g. you could have a very
out-of-date potato box, despite stable being woody now).

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/