keyboard doesn't respond: assistance needed

Hi list,
I have tried to install debian on my laptop several times and everytime it was a failure. I tried two times with KNOPPIX but each time when computer boots up, in a text login screen I am been asked to enter the user name, but the KEYBOARD doesn't work!
Third time I tried with the new beta version of Sarge installer. The computer boots up, but in the first menu system where I have to select the language the keyboard doesn't respond and I can't do anything. I have to force the computer to a shutdown.
My computer is a Gateway M500s notebook with a Pentium 4-M and 512 MB of memory. It has integrated network card and wireless adapter.
I would be grateful for all the suggestions and comments.
Hooman Javidnia
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Search Smarter - get the new eXact Search Bar for free!
http://www.exactsearchbar.com/