Re: Debian version

Drew <usernumber1000@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am trying to figure out what version of debian I am
> running.  /etc/issue* and /etc/debian_version all
> state unstable/testing, but I don't know when this box
> was installed.  This box could be potato, from when
> potato was unstable, but how to tell?
>
> I am attempting to determine what release this box is
> slink, potato, woody, sarge?

One thing you might try doing is looking at the version of the libc6
package, which has pretty reliably changed between releases, and
compare it to the version in the various releases.  I don't entirely
remember when testing appeared but I'm pretty sure that if your
/etc/debian_version mentions testing then you're post-slink.  :-)

	-- Abra Mitchell