Re: file creation permissions

Quoting Anita Lewis <ajlewis2@intac.com>:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:38:38 -0800, Mike Egglestone wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if its possible to modify the ownership of a newly created
> file.
> > He who creates, becomes owner. You can use the sgid bit to modify the group
>
> > permission to follow that of the parent directory.
>
> I thought that is what the 's' bit in the owner part did.  What does it do
> if it doesn't do that?

The SUID is only useable on files.
Note: you can add SUID bit to a directory, but it never seems
to do anything. If anyone else on list knows, please explain.  :)

If suid bit is set on a file, then any user executing that file will
have user rights associated with the owner. It can be dangerous to put
suid bits on root owned files, thus giving the executor of the file root
permissions.

Cheers,
Mike