SVGATextMode

Hi!

I am doubtful that this gets a response... but here goes...

Because I run BACKSTREET RUBY the *great* multi-seat Linux solution, I cannot use framebuffers. So a, perhaps better, solution is to use SVGATextMode, which sets console fonts by writing directly to the graphics card. It, however, is no longer supported. (So no newer cards are supported, but my TNT2 is, as Riva TNT2)

This worked in all my Sarge setups with kernel 2.4.22 (and other kernels too)

So over the weekend I decided to build a Sarge system from scratch, meaning from the rescue/boot disks, using drivers.tgz and basedebs.tgz

At some point, after a reboot, stm s100x48, which looks great normally, looks messed up. So I have to revert to slower, and uglier characters.

By "messed up" I mean hardly readable.

I downloaded the source, but it is a kluge. To understand, I mean. I think it a great tool.

Although everything else on the new system works great, I have no choice I think but to try the whole thing all over and see where exactly it breaks.

Strange thing is the other Sarge systems I have installed have recent dist-upgrades done on them and SVGATextMode keeps running OK. So you would think the code level would be the same.

If any body has an idea to avoid doing it all over once again, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hugo.