Re: Motherboard ASUS a7v600: is anybody using this?

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 12:49, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> Could I ask about the complete specs and costs of what you put together?
>   I have been eye'ing the Asus A7V600 also.  These are the parts I was
> looking at.. Off www.newegg.com
>
> $130	SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 256MB 8X AGP
> 		But sarge has xfree 4.2 and 4.3 is needed for readeon
> $210	AMD ATHLON XP 3000 "Barton" 400MHz FSB OEM
> 		What is needed for an OEM
> 		Suggestions on a Fan?  What is "grease"?

When you insert the fan & heat exchanger (metal block with radi-
ator fins) onto the CPU, the seating won't be absolutely perfect.
Thus, there will be little air pockets, which are not good for
transferring heat from the CPU.

Thermal grease fills in those little pockets, making heat transfer
much more efficient.

> 		It would be a waste to get the kt600 and not get
> 			a cpu that can do fsb400
> ????	How large of a power supply?
> ????	2 x 200GB WD harddrives

Remember that early versions of 2.4 (and all of 2.2) won't see
the whole 200GB.

In fact, those early versions of fdisk & cfdisk might even puke
when trying to partition those 48 bit LBA disks.

> $220  	2 x KINGSTON KVR400X64C25/512 512MB 400MHz
> 		The board max's at 1 gig :(

Really?????  Blech.

> Is the ethernet only Gigabit?  My network is all 10/100.
>
> The plan was to boot and install the minimum from woody then upgrade to
> sarge and get kernel 2.4.22 (newest as of 11/9/2003)
>
> Any thoughts, input, advise, suggestions?
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Albert Dengg wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm using this mobo with linux just fine.
> > the network chipset works with the syskonnect driver...depending on the
> > kernel version you may have to update it with the patch from
> > http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk98lin.htm
> > to support the card though...
> >
> > with the sata drivers you seem to have 2 options for debian:
> > one hack for the default ide driver
> > and a patch for libata to support it through scsi emulation (this seems
> > to be better ...it is included in 2.6.0-test9 so it seems to be better
> > for the future)
> > patch for 2.4: http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/8/29/105
> >
> > both seem to work from report from others..and they load fine, but I
> > don't have SATA drives to test with...but be aware: no raid...only linux
> > software raid...
> >
> > USB(also USB2) works fine
> >
> > agpgart works fine (I only can test agp 4x since I only own a GF4 and
> > with linux 2.4 agp 8x is not supported anyway from what I gather)....
> >
> > I have not tested sound since I use a SB Audigy...
> >
> > One last thing:
> > the ide controller is supported after 2.4.21 I think...before it is only
> > pio mode...
> >
> > I hope I have not forgot anything usefull...
> >
> > yours,
> > Albert Dengg
> >
> > On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:37:29 +1000
> > Alan Davis <adavis@saipan.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I have ordered this motherboard, with 3c940 Gigabit ethernet (with a
> >>"Linux" driver on the ASUS website(?!)); and AD1850 "AC'97" etc.)
> >>sound. I would appreciate hearing about any issues people have
> >>encountered.
> >>
> >>Thanks for any advice.  I would like to be prepared before burying my
> >>head in the sand...
> >>
> >>Alan

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
Brian W. Kernighan