Re: RAID Failure

hi ya danie

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Danie Roux wrote:

> > > md0 : active raid1 hdc3[1] hda3[0]
> > >       194000832 blocks [2/2] [UU]
> > >       [>....................]  resync =  1.9% (3862080/194000832)
> > > finish=82.4min speed=38421K/sec

> > dont write any data to your disks ... while its resyncing
>
> Are you dead sure about this last sentence?
>
> Cause I've done this before and once with 5G worth of data, no problem.

if you write data whiles its resyncing, that data is not yet raid'd
and lots of the other 82.4 minutes worth of data is also NOT raided..

if either disk dies while resyncing, you might lose all that data...

if you keep writing large data files, while its resyncing,
it will take that much longer to resync ..

you don't want to be too far out of sync for too long ...
	- get faster disks or spread the orig data across multiple raid
	boxes (it's unlikely that both raid boxes die at the same time)
	- adding more disks wont help, it'd just take that much
	more time to write the data to the new disks

c ya
alvin