Getting shell back locally or remote on hanging ssh connection

I log in from home to work and vice versa. Both networks are
connected to the net by a DSL line.

Both links are in general pretty decent for downloads and browsing.
However when using ssh, I frequently experience a hanging session
after returning to it after five minutes of doing something else.

Ideally I would like the sessions not to be disrupted or hanging,
but I suppose this has to do with the underlying network connection.

Occasionally, when I get back to the xterm, I see a "closed by
remote host"-message and I'm back in the local shell.

Most of the times however, there is no way to either continue working
remotely or even get the local shell back (I need to close the xterm
and start a new one).

I would like to find out which side of the connection is causing
the problems.

Is there a beter way to get a session back than starting a new xterm
and then create a new ssh login?

If not, can I at least get back to the local shell without starting
a new xterm?

Thanks,
Bob