Re: Installing modem.

----- Original Message -----
From: <munruh@nebnet.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 09:31
Subject: Re: Installing modem.

> On 9 Nov 2003 at 7:24, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
>
> > I recieved my USR5610B and replaced the Intel winmodem.  Turned on the
> > computer and it dialed the ISP in Windows.  So I said hey this is going
> > be easy.  Went to U.S. Robitics website and no debian driver only RH,
> > Mandrake, & SUSE.  Ok I can do rpm.  downloaded rpm driver put it on a
CD
> > and booted debian.  Did ^alt F1 read man rpm & man alien.  No problem
> > mounted CD issued alien -i </cdrom/<pkgname> ran ok w/no errors.
Checked

listmaster@lists.debian.org

> I have the same exact modem and it should *NOT* need a driver.
> It is controller based, and it should work like an external
> modem, even thought it is PCI. I had mine working under Suse
> 8.1 and Red Hat 7.0, but have not figured out how to get it
> working under debian "woody". I just tried those other distro
> before I was enlightened. I will be interested to follow this
> thread also. I but the modem in a windows box and got the port
> value, but every serial port I try I get "modem is busy". I
> can see the modem under KDE -> control center -> information -
> > PCI. It's at IRQ3 and I/O port b800.
>
> Salutations,
> Marlin

Marlin,
I seem to have some differences maybe some one can tell us how to get them
working:
KDE Information: PCI
00:0b Serial Controller: US Robotics/3com 56K Fax Modem Model 5610 (Rev
01)(Prog-if 02[16550])
Subsystem: US Robitics/3com unknown device 00d3
Flags: medium devsel, IR019
I/O Ports at d000 size 8
Capabilities: dc power management version 2.
& under I/O Ports:
d000-d007 US Robotics/3 com 56k Faxmodem 5610
d000-d007 serian (auto)

I dont know what it all means but I didnt see a com port unless d000 is one.
At least the system knows its there.  What do I do now?
Regards;
Hoyt